Widely regarded as one of the greatest comedies ever written, The Importance of Being Earnest zings with contemporary relevance, subversively satirising the snobbery and hypocrisy of extreme wealth and excess.
The Mercury Production, which will be directed by the Mercury’s Creative Director Ryan McBryde (They Don’t Pay? We Don’t Pay!, The Comedy of Errors), will give Wilde’s dazzling play a stylish makeover and will open the theatre’s 2024 season.
Meet the cast and creatives
- Gillian Bevan plays Mrs Bracknell
- Richard David-Caine plays Jack Worthing
- Harrie Hayes plays Gwendolen Fairfax
- Elizabeth Bower plays Miss Prism
- Susannah Van Den Berg plays Lane / Merriman
- Mateo Oxley plays Algernon Moncrieff
- Claire Lee Shenfield plays Cecily Cardew
- Martin Miller plays Rev Canon
The production’s creative team comprises of Katie Lias as Designer, Lucía Sánchez Roldán as Lighting Designer, Beth Duke as Sound Designer, Marc Frankum as Casting Director and Chani Merrell as Assistant Director.